Skip Navigation

The Training Program: Tracks

 

Research Track

max stem

The Research Track is a three-year program intended only for trainees committed to careers as independent investigators in endocrinology. After a year of intensive clinical training, the following two years are 80% protected research time. Clinical training during Year 2 includes continuity of care clinic, bone clinic, thyroid sonography/FNAB training, and exposure to inpatient intensive glycemia service. Year 3 is also 80% research time, and clinical activities are required but entirely elective.

Research opportunities in endocrinology at Michigan span the full spectrum, including basic science, translational studies, and clinical investigation. Applicants to this program are encouraged to explore these options and to meet with potential mentors during their interview visits.

The research years are supported via the NIH training grant 5T32DK007245, in its 37th year of continuous funding.  Research Track Fellows are required to submit an F32, K08, K23, AHA, or other similar grant proposal during their second year, although funding is available from the training grant for Year 3 as well.  Applicants must be US citizens or permanent residents to be appointed to the training grant.

Individuals accepted to the University of Michigan Physician Scientist Training Program (PSTP) complete two years of internal medicine residency, followed by four years of fellowship training. Those PSTP residents who choose endocrinology for their fellowship will be assigned to the Research Track.

 

Clinician-Educator Track

 

The Clinician-Educator Track is a two-year program geared for applicants who wish to become skilled clinical endocrinologists and to incorporate teaching and clinical training in their career path. The first year is intensive clinical training in an inpatient and outpatient setting. The second year is approximately 60% clinical activities, which include continuity of care clinic, bone clinic, thyroid sonography/FNAB training, inpatient intensive glycemia service, and elective clinics. The remaining 40% time can be customized to include research — including research in teaching and learning methods — specific training in education skills, and additional clinical activities.  Fellows in the Clinician-Educator Track may apply for a third year of research training through the training grant when positions are available.