Living in Ann Arbor
Built on the banks of the Huron River and located 45 minutes west of downtown Detroit (and approximately 25 minutes west of the Detroit Metro Airport), Ann Arbor is a cultural mecca within the Midwest basin. It is home to the University of Michigan — one of the finest universities, medical schools, and premier health systems in the country — and offers a unique blend of city sophistication and small-town charm to students and professionals, singles and families, newly born and newly retired, alike.
Accolades for Ann Arbor
Ann Arbor is both ethnically diverse and culturally rich. Just one visit and you will quickly understand why Ann Arbor is consistently voted one of the best places to live in the United States, along with numerous other awards.
Here is a partial list of awards just for 2012:
- 2012 "Best College Towns" Ann Arbor #9, Livability.com
- 2012 "Most Fun Public Golf Courses in America" The University of Michigan Golf Course #38, Golf Digest, September 2012 issue.
- 2012 "Best Cities for Education in America -- Ann Arbor #10, Parenting.com
- 2012 "America's Best Small Cities"-- Ann Arbor, Money Magazine
- 2012 "Best Cities for Successful Aging-- Ann Arbor #7, Milken Institute
- 2012 "Most Creative Cities"-- Ann Arbor #4, The Daily Beast
- 2012 "America's Best Airports"--Detroit Metropolitan Airport #3, TravelandLeisure.com
- 2012 "Best Places for New College Grads"-- Ann Arbor #8, The Atlantic Cities
- 2012 "Most E-Literate Cities in the America"--Ann Arbor #2, TheAtlantic.com
- 2012 "Greatest Main Street in America"--Ann Arbor #10, TravelandLeisure.com
- 2012 " Best State to Make a Living in" --Michigan #6, MoneyRates.com
- 2012 "Best Cities in America to Find a Job"--Ann Arbor #7, US News
- 2012 "Happiest Cities in America"--Ann Arbor #5, The Daily Beast
What to Do in Ann Arbor
- 36 Hours in Ann Arbor - from The New York Times travel section, October 2011
- Ann Arbor Convention and Visitors Bureau
- Ann Arbor Flip Book
- Arborweb - sponsored by the Ann Arbor Observer magazine
- MGoBlue: University of Michigan Athletics
- University Musical Society
- Michigan Theater
- Ann Arbor City Map [PDF]
- Ann Arbor Summer Festival and Top of the Park
- Ann Arbor Art Fairs - 3rd week in July
Getting Around Ann Arbor
- Ann Arbor Transportation Authority
- University of Michigan Parking & Transportation Services
- Commuting/Alternative Transportation in Ann Arbor
Living & Working in Ann Arbor
UMHS Is a Great Place to Work
U-M Hospitals and Health Centers was recognized by “Becker’s Hospital Review” as one of the 50 greenest hospitals in America for 2012.
The U-M Health System (UMHS) was recognized for the 5th straight year as one of the 2011 "Best and Brightest Companies to Work For" in Metro Detroit and in the U.S. by the National Association for Business Resources.
In addition, for the 3rd straight year, UMHS was named among the best large companies to work for in the state of Michigan, in the Detroit Free Press list of "Top Workplaces 2011."
- Local Forecast from The Weather Channel
- Video: Eric Wilson, meteorologist from WDIV-TV on Michigan Weather