Welcome to Interpreter Services
Interpreter Services has been providing medical interpreters since before 1990. We have grown from 370 interpreter requests to over 2,000 requests per month. Our interpreters are carefully screened and highly trained. We currently employ 21 staff interpreters, 15 contract sign languages interpreters, 5 administrative staff, and a pool of over 100 temporary interpreters who between them speak more than 70 languages.
The University of Michigan Health System treats thousands of deaf/Hard of Hearing and Limited English Proficient (LEP) patients each year. For these patients, seeking treatment can be confusing and stressful without a trained medical interpreter.
We are committed to:
- Helping deaf/Hard of Hearing and LEP patients enjoy equal access to outstanding health care
- Educating patients and families about their right to receive free language assistance
- Raising awareness of the impact of culture and language on health care delivery among UMHS Staff
- Making medical documents available in the patients' language
- Providing accurate translations of medical and billing records sent from abroad
- Collaborating with local ethnic communities to help them receive the care they deserve
We offer educational options ranging from Bridging the Gap, the nation's premier medical interpreter training program, to medical terminology courses.