Education & Professional Development Opportunities
If you are thinking about going back to school, or if you want to improve your skills professionally or personally, consider the following adult education and professional development programs available to Health System faculty and staff:
- Study Skills is a two-semester reading and math skills program that teaches organization, following directions, critical reading/thinking, using textbooks, taking notes, preparing for tests, motivation, managing time, setting goals and planning ahead.
- General Education Development provides an opportunity for those who have not yet received their high school diploma to study for and take the high school equivalency examination.
- English as a Second Language offers two classes: Introduction to ESL for those who are new to the English language; and Intermediate/Advanced classes for those who have taken the introduction course or who already have good speaking and comprehension skills.
To register or learn more about the above programs, call Steve Raymond, director of Leadership and Staff Development, at 734-936-5052.
Career Advancement Resources
- Human Resource Development offers more than 100 programs and courses designed to teach new skills for career advancement. HRD also offers five courses specifically for UMHS employees. They are held at the North Campus Administrative Complex.
- Leadership at All Levels is a series of brown bag lectures and an annual conference featuring speakers on topics such as service excellence, managing conflicts and leveraging diversity. LAL aims to help employees reach institution visions and their own personal goals based on the belief that every individual has the potential to be a leader in their own right, regardless of their position.
- The Career Services for Staff Web site offers self-service guidance about career options, developing in your present position or moving to new and challenging jobs within U-M. The Web site offers a step-bystep guide, a job strategy action plan, educational resources and more. It also offers supervisors information to aid in staff development and retention.