What is Lifeline?
Lifeline is an easy to use medical alert service that provides quick assistance whenever it is needed - 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
Since 1974 Lifeline has helped millions of older adults and persons with disabilities live at home with confidence. Family members and health care providers have peace of mind knowing that Lifeline service will quickly summon help when needed.
How Does Lifeline Work?
Lifeline subscribers wear a waterproof personal help button, either around their wrist, or around their neck as a necklace. Subscribers can also opt for the new TempoTM watch, which is a real working watch and help button in one!
When help is needed subscribers simply press their button. Within seconds a trained Lifeline associate accesses the subscriber's profile and assesses the situation. The Lifeline associate then contacts a neighbor, family member, or emergency services based on the subscriber's specific needs.
Why University of Michigan's Lifeline Program?
- Unfortunately accidents happen.
- One out of three adults over age 65 will fall each year.
- People over 75 who fall are four to five times more likely to spend a year or more in an extended care facility.
- Even falls with no injury impact a person's confidence. Due to the fear of falling, approximately 25% of those 75 or older unnecessarily restrict physical activity.
- Lifeline can help your family member in an emergency situation, assuring them that help is never more than a push of a button away.
Unlike some medical alerts systems that charge close to a thousand dollars before beginning service, Lifeline costs a little more than a dollar a day. Service is month to month, there is no long term commitment, and subscribers are not obligated to buy any equipment.
University of Michigan Employee Discount Program
University of Michigan employees, retirees, faculty, students, alumni, and their family members are eligible to receive a 10% discount off the monthly fee for Lifeline service for the duration that the person has Lifeline service.
For additional information about Lifeline, or to place an order for Lifeline service, please contact the University of Michigan Visiting Nurses at: (734) 477-7229.