Mrs. Irma Clara Webb is the daughter
of David Enie Wilson and Rhonda Mary Wilson. She was
born in McClellanville, South Carolina on May 3, 1925.
She graduated from Burke Industrial High School in 1943
and immediately enrolled in the nursing program at Meharry
Medical College in Nashville, Tennessee.
received her nursing diploma from Meharry in 1946. Mrs.
Webb arrived in Detroit in 1946 to finish out the last
six months of her training with the Visiting Nurses
Association (VNA). When she graduated, she accepted
her first job with the Detroit Visiting Nurses Association
and worked in public health and home care nursing until
1949. That year she returned to Meharry's Pediatric
Department to direct a new program funded by the Children's
Bureau. It was aimed towards saving the lives of prematurely
born babies. She remained there a year and a half and
returned to Detroit in 1950 to get married.
began working part-time in the evenings at Harper Hospital
and eventually left there in 1955 to work one or two
nights a week at Burton Mercy Hospital. She gradually
increased her time and eventually started working full-time.
Burton Mercy in 1973 to establish a substance abuse
rehabilitation ward at Kirwood Hospital. She remained
at Kirwood until 1986.
maintains her membership in the American Nurses Association.
She is a member of the Church of All People, Meharry
Alumni Association, Friends of Spelman College, and
a life member of the National Association for the Advancement
of Colored People. She previously was a member of the
Congress of Racial Equality (C.O.R.E.).