Direct Access Endoscopy
The University of Michigan Health System offers the option of "Direct Access Endoscopy" to referring physicians in an attempt to expedite patient care.
This program provides:
- Primary Care Providers can schedule standard diagnostic endoscopic procedures on stable adult patients quickly and without need of prior consultations.
- Full-time faculty members of the Division of Gastroenterology will perform all procedures.
- Procedural reports will be faxed to the ordering physician and any additional reports (such as biopsy and cytology) from analysis of tissue samples obtained at the time of the procedure will be forwarded subsequently.
- Primary Care Providers maintain control of and responsibility for the patient's care.
- Referring physicians will be responsible for the interpretation of the clinical significance of the endoscopic findings, as well as for arranging for any appropriate further evaluation or treatment.
- Should the findings warrant further discussion, members of the GI Division are available for consultation.
- EGD (Upper Endoscopy)
- EUS (Endoscopic Ultrasound)
These procedures may be scheduled for stable persons with appropriate indications. Exclusion criteria for these procedures are outlined on the requisition and will prompt a nurse review and may require a clinic visit prior to the procedure.
Download and complete the appropriate requisition. This form will provide important patient information to the endoscopist. If you have any other clinical information about the patient that you believe would be useful to the endoscopist, please fax it with the completed requisition..
Thank you for considering the UMHS Direct Access Endoscopy Program.