Founded in 1947, the Division of Gastroenterology has had a long history of excellence that continues today. Currently, the Division is composed of over 45 faculty, 22 fellows, and over 150 staff. The Division's clinical activities include the following:
- Outpatient Services provided at the Taubman Center and at our various satellite clinics in Briarwood, Brighton, Canton, Dexter, East Ann Arbor, Livonia, Saline, and the Veterans Affairs (VA) Ann Arbor Healthcare Center.
- Inpatient Services, including a luminal GI service, hepatology service, and consultation service at University Hospital and the VA.
- Gastroenterology's Endoscopy Practice at the Medical Procedures Unit (MPU) in University Hospital, in Livonia, at the VA, and at the East Ann Arbor Ambulatory Surgery and Medical Procedures Center.
The Gastroenterology Division also has established a number of clinical centers of excellence, including the Wilson Disease Program, the multidisciplinary Michigan Bowel Control Program, and the Functional Bowel Disorders Program.
In addition to their clinical excellence, the University of Michigan Gastroenterology faculty also provide numerous educational programs to physicians and patients in Michigan and the surrounding areas. Our Continuing Medical Education network offers three multi-day courses and over 100 single lectures annually.
In our mission to create knowledge through research, Gastroenterology continues to conduct cutting-edge investigations of the molecular, cellular, and physiological conditions of healthy and diseased states of the gastrointestinal tract, liver, and pancreas. The central piece of the Division's research endeavor is the NIH-funded Michigan Gut Peptide Center, which encompasses three thematic areas of research: (1) neurobiology of appetite control and visceral pain; (2) molecular and cellular mechanisms of inflammation; and (3) cell growth, differentiation, and programmed cell death. With the critical support of the Center, research funding for the Gastroenterology Division has increased dramatically over the last several years, now totaling over $8.5 million including over 50 individual grants from the NIH and other federal funding agencies.