Mobility Research Center
- Identify the mechanisms underlying impaired mobility task performance
- Develop methods to measure impaired mobility performance
- Develop interventions to reduce impairments in mobility performance
- Provide an environment to facilitate interdisciplinary research
- Publicize methods of evaluation and intervention to health care professionals and caregivers
Approximately 30 percent to 40 percent of senior citizens fall each year, which places falls as the leading cause of accidental death among older adults in the United States. Although it is impossible to prevent all falls, geriatric specialists suggest both improving balance through exercise to avoid falls and employ "fall-proofing" behaviors in and around the home to reduce risks.