How to Apply for Funding
Friends provides funding to U-M Hospitals and Health Centers programs and services that embrace and fulfill its mission of promoting the health, welfare and education of the community.
Our Friends Funding Committee meet quarterly for about an hour in July, October, January and April. This committee consists of approximately 5-8 members that share their knowledge, expertise and insight for each application request for funding based on the guidelines on this page (carefully completing your application and following the guidelines outlined, helps the process). After a thorough review and discussion the Funding Committee provides funding applicant recommendations to the UMHS Friends Advisory Board. We look forward to receiving your applications and will notify you after the UMHS Friends Advisory Board makes a decision.
The UMHS Friends Advisory Board and Gift Shops is a non-profit organization. The Friends Advisory Board governs the UMHS Gift Shops and UMHS Friends Committees.
Past and current recipients of funding include Trail's Edge Camp for ventilator-dependent children, Trauma Burn Community Outreach programs, the Health System Child Care Center, Wilmot House, Transplant House, the Ronald McDonald House, the Depression Education Resource Center, and Gifts of Art programs and more.
Friends funding is open to all units that benefit U-M patients. Funding must be approved by any (or all) of the following: head nurse; project manager; or manager/supervisor. The Friends Funding Committee reviews applications quarterly.
Funding has been granted to support:
- Health education in the community
- Enrichment of the hospital environment
- Off-site and in-house programs for patients
- Construction and equipment used by patients
Friends do not fund fee-generating equipment for the hospitals, direct salary support, materials for the education of hospital staff or research projects. Follow this link for a full description of our funding guidelines.
UMHS Friends Advisory Board Funding Request Form and Instructions
All applications must be submitted via email to the following contacts: Natalie Underhill, UMHS Friends Advisory Board Treasurer at firstname.lastname@example.org AND Waitzy Brown, UMHS Friends Advisory Board Administrative Assistant FriendsofUMHS@med.umich.edu
Funding requests are reviewed quarterly and due the first of January, April, July and October.
Other funding sources that may properly fit your request:
Funding requests for printed patient education materials should be made to the Patient Education Advisory Committee which receives an annual Friends grant to cover these needs. For further information please contact Maureen Thompson.
Funding requests for departments that are under the umbrella and/or are partnered with Patient Family Centered Care/the Office of Patient Experience, contact Administrative Director, Molly Dwyer-White, 734-232-0259, email@example.com, or Darnysus Jackson, Program Manager for Children's, Women's and Psychiatry at 6-0079, or Julie Wietzke, Program manager for Cancer Center and Ambulatory Care Units at 2-0775.
Below are friendly reminders regarding the request form:
- The Friends Board wants to make intelligent, fair decisions on funding requests. The more detailed information you provide, the better we can understand the request. Include why this target group/user needs the item, describe the target population and how the item(s) will help. Give an example, provide a picture and/or materials that might assist us. Please attach letters of support or concern.
- Include brand names (if applicable) and detailed description of item(s) as well as quantity and cost per item.
- Friends is trying to be more cost effective so that we can fund as many requests as possible. Therefore, please check with more than one vendor. If you deem one vendor more appropriate than another, please explain why.
- Does the item(s) need to be attached to the wall or cleaned on a regular basis?
- Include any other applicable information.
If you have any questions relating to your request, please call the Friends office: 734-615-6147.