The Michigan Harvest Gathering (MHG) is an annual State-wide Campaign that raises food and funds for Michigan's emergency food response. (food collected locally stays locally - for us that is Food Gatherers).
Facts About Michigan Harvest Gathering
The Michigan Health & Hospital Association (MHA) and it's members have donated over 8.7 million pounds of groceries and $8.6 million, providing emergency meals to millions of Michigan families in need.
According to the Hunger in America 2010 report published by Feeding America, nearly 1,173,000 different people use the Michigan food banking network annually, and approximately 196,400 receive emergency food assistance each week. The demographics of those seeking assistance varies:
- In Michigan, 18% of households are struggling to put food on the table.
- Nearly 1 in 6 children is at risk of hunger.
- 7% are elderly
- 38% are under age 18
- 34% of households served include at least one employed adult
- 15% are homeless
- 750% live below the poverty line
- 26% had to choose between buying food or medical care/medicine
Suggested Food Donations
Cash contributions will also be accepted. Please make checks payable to Food Gatherers. Cash contributions are used to purchase needed food items. A complete meal, of donated goods, can be distributed for less than the cost of a postage stamp.
- $30 feeds a hungry child for one month
- $50 feeds a hungry senior for one month
- $100 purchases gas for a food rescue truck for one week
- $250 feeds a family of four for 6 weeks
All donations will be given to Food Gatherers and distributed in Washtenaw County.
If you would like more information on Michigan Medicine and Michigan Harvest Gathering or if you'd like to become a "food-gathering site" coordinator, please fill out the Michigan Medicine Food Drive Form or contact Kit Werner, Director of Patient Food and Nutrition Services at 936-5197 or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Again, many thanks to all the donors and site coordinators for helping make this food drive successful.