Laurita Thomas Diversity Champion Award Nomination Process
The UMHS Laurita Thomas Diversity Champion Award was developed to recognize individuals, groups and departments for their contribution to creating and promoting an inclusive environment for all.
Complete the Laurita Thomas Diversity Champion Award Nomination form that addresses how the nominee has demonstrated a significant commitment to creating and promoting an inclusive environment through:
- Participation in events or programs that promote diversity awareness: creates or develops internal programs; promotes same; or creates or participates in University events that promote diversity in the community.
- Displaying a long term commitment to valuing diversity above and beyond assigned work responsibilities: extra efforts to broaden range of input to processes; additional time spent working on diversity issues outside scope of employment; concrete self-education efforts
- Participating in a variety of community events that promote mutual respect, acceptance, cooperation or tolerance: any level of involvement in community events, projects, efforts or organizations that promote or celebrate tolerance and contribute to diversity awareness in the community; “extra-curricular” activities fostering understanding between cultures and building bridges within the community.
- Actively engages in efforts to broaden advancement and promotion opportunities offered: contributes to efforts to expand communication to include a variety of styles; assists in workforce education efforts; as manager, seeks to create a culturally and ethnically-balanced workforce.
- Role models institutional values and commitment to diversity. Contributes to the advancement of diversity and encourages involvement by others.
Award nominees can be any staff, faculty or unit/department within any of the three business units: UMHS including Hospitals and Health Centers and Medical School that has demonstrated the above behaviors supporting diversity initiatives.
Award recipients will be honored each year at the Annual Diversity Summit.
Awardees will receive:
- Monetary donation to favorite charity