Stroke: EMS Information
We consider Emergency Medical Services a vital link in our care of stroke patients. Rapid diagnosis and treatment of patients with strokes is the key to providing optimum care. This cannot happen without an excellent EMS system.
The University of Michigan Comprehensive Stroke Program strives to provide state-of-the-art care for stroke patients:
- Many of our Emergency Department physicians have special interest in stroke.
- Neurology and/or Neurosurgery physicians provide consultation on all stroke patients in the Emergency Department.
- CT, MRI and angiography are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Stroke specialists are available for consultation throughout the patient's admission.
- Follow-up care is provided by the Stroke Program in Neurology, by Neurosurgery, and by Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation.
EMS contact person for educational outreach – William Meurer, M.D., 734-936-1616