Office of Patient Relations
Patients and families come first at the University of Michigan Hospitals and Health Centers. Our goal is to provide care, treatment and services that meet - and exceed - your expectations. Your valuable feedback provides us with an opportunity to improve, so if you have concerns about the care, treatment or services you or a family member received, we want to know about it. We will make every effort to resolve your concerns. Thank you!
If you have a concern, the recommended first course of action is talking to a member of the health care team that provided your care, treatment or service. If a health care team member is unable to resolve your concern, or if multiple areas are involved, please contact the Office of Patient Relations. Our staff provide an objective environment for you to raise concerns and ask questions. We will address your concerns in a fair and reasonable way, and ensure an impartial review. You can contact us in one of the following ways:
- Walk-in: Our office is located in University Hospital, Room UH 2B228, and open Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. – noon and 1-5 p.m.
- Phone: Call 734-936-4330 or toll-free 877-285-7788.
- After hours, weekends & holidays: Call 734-936-4000 and ask to have a House Manager or Administrator-on-Call paged.
- Online: Fill out this secure, confidential online form.
- Health Care Treatment &
Patient Safety: Contact Risk Management at 734-763-5456.
- Home Care
Services: First, talk to your Home Care representative. If this doesn’t result in a satisfactory response, or if this is uncomfortable for you, please call the Quality & Compliance Manager toll-free at 1-800-862-2731.
- Insurance/Billing/Charges: Visit this Web page to find the appropriate phone number.
- Mental Health
Services: Contact our Recipient Rights Officer at 734-936-4323. (What are Recipient Rights?)
- Public Safety, Potential Violence, Theft, Loss Prevention, or Crimes Against Person or Property: Contact Security Services at 734-936-7890.
- Questions/Concerns about the use of animals in research:
For information on how and under what circumstances animals are used for research purposes, please visit: Use of Animals in Research and Education at the University of Michigan or email.
- Release of Information & Documentation: If you need to speak with someone about filling out a release of information form or other documentation, call Health Information Management at 734-936-5490.
- Support Services & Community Resources: Contact the Guest Assistance Program at 734-764-6893.
As a health care consumer, you have the right to contact The Joint Commission toll-free at 1-800-994-6610 if you are not satisfied with the resolution provided by the University of Michigan Health System.
If you are happy with the care you received, why not let the doctor, nurse, staff member or entire unit know? We invite you to share your positive experience in one of the following ways:
- Online: Fill out a Making a Difference Award. These forms also are available at all hospital Welcome Centers.
- Mail: Fill out a postage-paid “Patient Comments” card available at all hospital Welcome Centers and drop it in any U.S. mailbox.