Contact the Compliance Office
The University of Michigan Health System has a number of resources for people who have a question or concern about compliance. Below is a description of those resources.
Who to contact:
If you're a Health System employee with questions regarding compliance at UMHS, use the email links below.
- General Compliance Questions or call 734-615-4400
- HIPAA Concerns or Questions or call 734-615-4400
- IT Security Concerns or Questions or call 734-615-4400
- COI Concerns or Questions
|Any of our workforce who suspects a violation of University or UMHS policies or procedures or suspect breaches in privacy or security policies at UMHS should - Call the University of Michigan Compliance Hotline at 866-990-0111 or submit an online report.|
The University of Michigan has contracted with a professional compliance call center to handle the intake of calls, and route information back to the appropriate administrator(s) for handling. Using an external vendor provides advantages such as:
- trained interview specialists
- availability 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- multi-lingual staff
- aggregate reporting of trends and usage of the line
The compliance hotline should be used by Health System employees to raise financial, regulatory and patient safety concerns. The vendor has no responsibility for managing any resulting research or inquiry from a report, nor does it make recommendations on the outcome. Instead, it routes information back to the appropriate administrator(s). The relevant UMHS office then evaluates, investigates, and follows up according to normal UMHS procedures. This involves verifying the accuracy of the report before any action is taken.
Callers may request to remain anonymous; however, while anonymity can be maintained, this might result in an incomplete investigation.
For more information regarding the U-M Compliance Hotline, please visit the Web site.
The compliance hotline is not for emergency response. If you are in need of emergency assistance or believe a crime is in progress, call 911.
The hotline is also not intended to handle patient concerns, including ethics/bioethics patient consults. Any individual wishing to request an ethics consult should call paging at 734-936-4000 and ask for the Pediatric or Adult Ethics Committee member on call.
UMHS Compliance Office
You should not experience harassment or retribution if you act responsibly and report what you believe to be a legitimate concern or a violation that will cause damage to the institution. If you feel you have been harassed or punished because of reporting a compliance concern, please report your concern to the compliance office immediately. See UMHS Policies 01-04-005 and 01-04-385 below for policy information prohibiting retaliation against an employee for reporting concerns.
Applicable Policies/Sources of Information:
- UMHS Policy 01-04-001 - HHC Corporate Compliance Program (Internal audiences only)
- UMHS Policy 01-04-005 - Reporting Compliance Concerns (Internal audiences only)
- UMHS Policy 01-04-385 - Receiving and Resolving Privacy Complaint's (Internal audiences only)
- State of Michigan: Whistleblowers Protection Act Information
- State of Michigan Law/Statutes: Whistleblowers Protection Act