- American Academy of Audiology
Provides the latest consumer and professional resources, as well as a tracking system to find and/or ask audiologist questions.
- American Academy of Otolaryngology - Head & Neck Surgery, Inc.
Provides current news and research by physicians who treat disorders of the ear, nose, throat, and structures of the head and neck. In addition, the site offers a tracking system to find an otolaryngologist in your area and other otolaryngology-related links.
- American Speech-Language-Hearing Association
Helps consumers find a local certified audiologist and/or speech-language pathologist, in addition to featuring a number of published articles on early hearing detection and intervention.
- Michigan Academy of Audiology
Provides information to audiologists and public about hearing-related issues, conferences and information.
- Michigan Speech-Language-Hearing Association
Provides information to the public about speech, language and hearing-related issues.
- Assistive Devices for the Hearing Impaired
- Cochlear Implants Companies and Support Groups
- Consumer Information on Hearing Aids/Hearing Loss
- Deafness/Sign Language
- Deaf/Blind Infants and Children
- Early Hearing Detection and Identification
- Education for Deaf and Hard of Hearing Children
- Families with Infants and Children with Hearing Loss/Deafness
- FM Systems
- Hearing Conservation
- Other items
- Professional Organizations
- Research in Deafness/Hearing Loss
- Resources for Children
- Speech-Language Therapy
- Telephone Assistance
- Vestibular/Balance Problems
Selected Journal Articles
Early Identification, Management & Intervention
Buttross, S. L., Gearhart, J. G., & Peck, J. E. (1995). Early identification and management of hearing impairment. American Family Physician, 51(6), 1437-1447.
Harrison, M., & Roush, J. (1996). Age of suspicion, identification, and intervention for infants and young children with hearing loss: A national study. Ear & Hearing, 17, 55-62.
Vohr, B. R. & Maxon, A. B. (1996). Screening infants for hearing impairment. Journal of Pediatrics, 128(5), 710-714.
Yoshinaga-Itano, C., Sedey, A. L., Coulter, D. K., & Mehl, A. L. (1998). Language of early- and later-identified children with hearing loss. Pediatrics, 102(5), 1161-1171.
Joint Committee on Infant Hearing (JCIH). Year 2007 Position Statement: Principles and Guidelines for Early Hearing Detection and Intervention Programs.
Other Resources of Interest
Zazove, P. & Kileny, P.R. (1992). Devices for the hearing impaired. American Family Physician, 46(3), 851-858.
Kileny, P.R., Zwolan, T.A., & Ashbaugh, C. (2001). The Influence of Age at Implantation on Performance with a Cochlear Implant in Children. Otology & Neurotology, 22, 42-46.
Campbell, K. (1998). Essential Audiology for Physicians. San Diego: Singular Publishing.
Keith, R. W. (Ed.). (1980). Audiology for the Physician. Baltimore: Williams & Wilkins.
Cone-Wesson et al., 2000