Welcome to Sound Support
Hearing loss affects a child’s ability to hear speech and, in turn, delays speech and language development. For this reason, it is important to identify hearing loss in children at an early age and begin rehabilitation services as soon as possible. Sound Support was developed through a joint grant from the U-M Department of Otolaryngology, the U-M Head and Neck Surgery Division, and the State of Michigan.
If you suspect your child has hearing loss, you have several options to consider:
- Discuss your concern with your child's primary physician or health care provider.
- Ask about having your child's hearing tested by an audiologist.
- Ask if it may be necessary to consult with an otolaryngologist (ear, nose and throat specialist).
The pediatric otolaryngologists, audiologists and speech/language pathologists at the University of Michigan Health System are available to answer your questions. Contact:
- Sound Support: 866-595-5585 (toll free)
- Audiology: 734-936-7507
- Pediatric Otolaryngology: 734-936-4934 or 734-936-9816
- Cochlear Implant Office: 734-998-8119
- Speech/Language Pathology: 734-763-4003