Meryl S. Leventhal, MA, RHIT, CTR
Meryl S. Leventhal, MA, RHIT, CTR is the data collection supervisor at the Los Angeles Cancer Surveillance Program (CSP) at the Keck School of Medicine of the University of Southern California. The CSP is one of the 10 regional registries that comprise the California Cancer Registry (CCR) and is a SEER region. Meryl received a Master of Arts degree from the University of Michigan in Library and Information Science and is credentialed in both health information management and cancer registration. Following extensive experience in both areas in acute care settings, Meryl shifted her focus to central registry data collection activities and education and training of cancer registry professionals. She is Co-Director /Instructor of the CSP's Cancer Registrar Training Program. Since 2000, Meryl has held the position of adjunct instructor of Health Information Technology/Cancer Information Management at Santa Barbara City College.
Selected Key Papers
- Deapen D, Ervin I, Leventhal M, Niland J Experience in Developing E-path Cancer Reporting for Rapid Case Ascertainment. Journal of Registry Management, Summer 2002, Volume 29, Number 2.
- Miller DC, Saigal CS, Warren JL, Leventhal M, Deapen D, Banarjee M, Lai J, Hanley J, Litwin MS. Validation of a claim-based algorithm for identifying kidney-cancer surgeries. BMC Health Services Research, 2009; 9:92.
- Hamilton AS, Hofer T, Hawley ST, Morrell D, Leventhal M, Deapen D, Salem B, Katz SJ Latinas and Breast Cancer Outcomes: Population-based sampling, Ethnic Identity and Acculturation Assessment. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2009; 18(7). July 2009
- Fritz A, Leventhal M, et al. Cancer Registry CASEbook: Coding, Abstracting, Staging, Exercise Volume II: Introductions and Five Major Sites. A Fritz and Associates LLC 2007.
- Fritz A, Leventhal M, et al. Cancer Registry CASEbook: Coding, Abstracting, Staging, Exercise Volume II: Challenging Sites: Head and Neck, Female Genital, CNS, Lymphoma. A Fritz and Associates LLC 2007.