Steven Katz, MD, MPH
Steven Katz, MD, MPH is a Professor of Medicine and Health Management and Policy at the University of Michigan. Dr. Katz is a National Cancer Institute Established Investigator in Cancer Prevention, Control, Behavioral and Population Sciences Research. Dr. Katz was a Robert Wood Johnson Faculty Scholar in the Department of Medicine. He received formal training in health services research as a Robert Wood Johnson Clinical Scholar at the University of Washington, where he received his MPH. He received his MD degree from the University of California, San Francisco and completed residency in Internal Medicine at the University of California, Los Angeles. He has published widely on the behavioral and structural determinants of the utilization and cost of medical care services in the United States and Canada. His current research agenda involves studies of the quality of care and outcomes of screening and treatments for breast and colorectal cancer.
Selected Key Papers
- Katz SJ, Morrow M, Hawley ST, Griggs J, Jagsi R et al. Coordinating Cancer Care: Patient and Practice Management Processes Among Surgeons Who Treat Breast Cancer. Medical Care 2010;48(1):45-51
- Katz SJ, Hofer TP, Hawley S, Lantz PM, Janz NK, Schwartz K, Liu L, Deapen D, Morrow M. Patterns and Correlates of Patient Referral To Surgeons For Treatment of Breast Cancer. Journal of Clinical Oncology 2007;25(3):271-276
- Katz SJ, Hawley ST. From policy to patients and back: surgical treatment decision-making for patients with breast cancer. Health Affairs 2007;26(3):761-769
- Katz SJ, Lantz PM, Janz NK, Fagerlin A, Schwartz K, Liu L, Deapen D, Salem B, LakhaniI, Morrow, M. Patterns and correlates of local therapy for women with ductal carcinoma in situ. Journal of Clinical Oncology. 2005; 23(13):3001-3007.
- Katz SJ, Lantz PM, Janz NK, Fagerlin A, Schwartz K, Liu L, Deapen D, Salem B, LakhaniI, Morrow M. Patient involvement In surgery treatment decisions for breast cancer. Journal of Clinical Oncology. 2005;23(24):5526-5533.
- Katz SJ, Lantz PM, Paredes Y, Janz NK, Fagerlin A, Liu L, Deapen D. Breast cancer treatment experiences of Latinas in Los Angeles county. American Journal of Public Health. 2005;95(12):2225-2230.
- Racial/Ethnic Disparities in Work and Quality of Life Outcomes in Survivors of Breast Cancer. (2R01CA109696-04 2008-2009)
- Disparity in Quality of Breast Cancer Treatment and Effects on Outcome. (2009)
- Racial/Ethnic and SES Disparities in Quality of Breast Cancer Systemic (1RO1CA139014-01)
- Quality of Cancer Care Evaluation and Interventions (5K05CA111340-03)
- Quality of Cancer Care Evaluation and Interventions (5K05CA111340-03S1)
- Health System Factors and Patient Outcomes in Breast Cancer (5R01CA088370-07)