Ann S. Hamilton, PhD, MA
Ann S. Hamilton, PhD, MA is an Associate Professor in the Department of Preventive Medicine in the Keck School of Medicine at the University of Southern California (USC), Los Angeles, CA.. Her background is in cancer epidemiology and she received her Ph. D. from UCLA's School of Public Health. Dr. Hamilton's research has focused on etiology of breast and germ cell cancers and on cancer outcomes related to breast, prostate, NHL and other cancers. She has been the P.I. of several cancer registry-based NCI-SEER funded studies to assess quality of care received by cancer patients, as well as quality of life, late and long term effects of cancer, information needs, and how decisions are made regarding treatment. Recently she has been studying health behaviors and long term survivorship concerns among childhood cancer survivors. Dr. Hamilton also assists other researchers who wish to utilize the Cancer Surveillance Program, the SEER registry for Los Angeles County which is located at USC.
Selected Key Papers
- Hamilton, A. and Mack, T. Use of Twins as Mutual Proxy Respondents for each other in a Case-Control Study of Breast Cancer: Effect of Item Non-response and Misclassification, Am. J. of Epi. 152:1093-103, 2000.
- Hamilton, A., Stanford, J., Gilliland, F., Albertsen, P., Stephenson, R.,Hoffman, R., Eley, B., Harlan, L., and Potosky, A.,May, 2001, Health Outcomes after External Beam Radiation Therapy for Clinically Localized Prostate Cancer: Results from the Prostate Cancer Outcomes Study, Journal of Clinical Oncology, 2001; 19:2517-2526.
- Hamilton, A., Mack, T., Puberty and Genetic Susceptibility to Breast Cancer in a Case-Control Study in Twins. New England Journal of Medicine 2003:348:2313-22.
- Hamilton, AS, Lessov-Schlaggar,CN, Cockburn, MG, Unger, JB, Cozen, W, and Mack, TM. Gender differences in determinants of smoking initiation and persistence in California twins. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 15: 1189-97, 2006.
- Arora NK, Hamilton AS, Potosky AL, Rowland JH, Aziz NM, Bellizzi KM, Klabunde CN, McLaughlin W, Stevens J. Population-based survivorship research using cancer registries: a study of non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma survivors. Journal of Cancer Survivorship 1:49-63, 2007.
- Androgen Receptor as a Biomarker in Prostate Cancer Progression (NIH1R03 CA121874-01, 8/30/06-8/29/10)
- SEER Adolescent and Young Adult Study (NCI N01-PC-35139, 9/29/07-9/28/09)
- Breast and Prostate Data Quality and Patterns of Care (CDC 1010824 CDC 9/30/05-9/29/09)