Managing Side Effects and/or Late Effects of Treatment
Cancer Nutrition Services
Helping patients prepare for treatment, manage side effects and symptomsThe registered dietitians at the U-M Cancer Center are specially trained in the field of oncology nutrition. They focus on assessing the individual dietary and nutrition needs of each patient and providing practical, scientifically sound assistance, such as:
In addition to our section on recipes, we've also created a more interactive feature: Cancer Center Recipes Just for You!. This is an interactive web site which helps you include the recommended daily amount of fruit & vegetables in your diet by finding recipes which feature foods YOU like.
Meet with a DietitianConsultation with a member of the Nutrition Services team is offered to all U-M Comprehensive Cancer Center patients. Dietitians offer services to both adult and pediatric patients and family members. Our nutritionists work with individuals to develop food strategies, not strict, hard-to-follow meal plans. The nutrition staff understands that food can become an ally in the fight against cancer. By helping patients understand the latest scientific research about nutrition and giving personalized written guidelines, our dietitians work to:
- Prevent or correct nutritional deficiencies
- Minimize the side effects of treatment
- Enhance quality of life during treatment
- Improve ability to tolerate treatment
- Help achieve and maintain optimal body weight
- Incorporate healthy nutrition habits into daily living
- Evaluate the risks and benefits of nutrition into a comprehensive plan to minimize risk of recurrence following treatment
- Educate family members about special nutrition needs
Learn more or arrange an appointment by calling 877-907-0859.