Adult Bone Marrow Transplant Clinic
C.S. Mott Children's Hospital and Von Voigtlander Women's Hospital
1540 E. Hospital Drive, SPC 4257
Floor 7, Reception B
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-4257
Why did the Adult BMT Clinic move into a children's hospital?The reasons have much to do with the nature of transplantation and the very fragile health of transplant patients. The blood and marrow transplantation process completely shuts down patients' immune systems, making them highly susceptible to infections. That risk is intensified by the fact that transplant patients will spend weeks or even months in the hospital. The sterility, air quality and overall comfort and convenience of the treatment environment are key considerations in the success of transplantation. Our new, larger home allows us to treat more patients in state-of-the-art safety and comfort.
Patient CareMore than 200 adult BMT procedures are performed at U-M each year - making us one of the largest programs in the state. That level of experience means that U-M transplant specialists know what to recommend for each transplant candidate, what to expect from each procedure, and how to respond to every challenge that may arise on the transplant journey.
Our dedicated team of doctors, nurses, physician assistants and transplant coordinators are specially trained in and solely devoted to stem cell transplantation. Their focus is on performing the procedure safely and effectively; carefully monitoring and caring for patients before, during and after; and communicating with patients' referring physicians throughout the process. Our multidisciplinary approach to care means that patients benefit from not just one expert opinion, but many. Care plans are personalized to meet the specific needs of each individual patient, and the entire care team meets several times each week to discuss each patient's progress.
Our program is accredited by the Foundation for the Accreditation of Hematopoietic Cell Therapy and is also approved by the National Marrow Donor Program and the Southwest Oncology Group.
Some of the features of the new Adult BMT Clinic (and inpatient unit) include:
- A 32-bed inpatient unit dedicated solely to adult bone marrow transplant patients
- Co-location with the BMT clinic and infusion unit, allowing full integration between the inpatient and outpatient settings to improve patient and family experiences.
- State-of-the-art HEPA air filtration for optimal air quality both inside and outside of patient rooms.
- An increased number of exam rooms and infusion chairs, which will reduce waiting time.
- More windows with expansive views in both patient rooms and the expanded infusion area.
- Private rooms for all patients, with amenities including private patient bathrooms, a place for a guest to sleep, in-room refrigerators for patient use, and an entertainment system offering TV, internet, gaming, music and more than 40 new release movies, all on a 46-inch flat screen television.
- Lounge, exercise and laundry space on the unit for patient and family use.
- Significantly expanded capacity for the Extra Corporeal Photopheresis (ECP) program, creating one of the top ECP programs in the world and providing cutting-edge therapies to transplant patients with graft-vs.-host disease (GVHD), as well as lung transplant patients facing organ rejection.
Still have questions?The nurses at Cancer AnswerLine™ have answers. Call 1-800-865-1125 and you'll get a personal response from one of our registered nurses, who have years of experience in caring for people with cancer.