|Welcome to the U-M Back & Pain Center
- Leaders in the multidisciplinary treatment of pain
- The first choice for your patients
Founded in 1979, the University of Michigan's Back & Pain Center offers a comprehensive range of the most advanced treatments for acute, cancer and chronic pain problems in a supportive, compassionate environment. Our high rate of patient satisfaction and our longevity are the result of the consistent quality of medical care administered by our team of pain specialists.
Save your patients the frustration of going from clinic to clinic with no relief. Make the U-M Back & Pain Center your first choice.
Our dedicated staff includes anesthesiologists, neurologists, an internist specializing in pain medication management and detoxification, a pain psychologist and a physical therapist. A neurologist specializing in the treatment of headache and facial pain staffs our headache clinic.
The Michigan Difference
We strive to promote the development and practice of safe, evidence-based comprehensive techniques for the diagnosis and treatment of pain.
We have prompt scheduling of new patient appointments.
We educate future pain specialists.
Common Conditions treated
- Back & neck pain
- Cancer or cancer therapy-related pain
- Cervicogenic headache & occipital neuralgia
- Chest wall pain
- Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (also known as Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy)
- Disc Disease
- Facet syndrome
- Failed back surgery
- Headaches & facial pain
- Intractable angina
- Ischemic pain from peripheral vascular disease
- Limb pain
- Nerve entrapment
- Peripheral neuropathy
- Phantom limb/stump pain
- Post-herpetic neuralgia (pain from shingles)
- Post-surgical pain (e.g., ilioinguinal neuralgia, post mastectomy pain, post-thoracotomy pain)
- Radiculopathy (Sciatica)
- Sacroiliac joint pain
- Scarred nerves
- Spinal stenosis
- Vertebral body compression fractures