"It's quick, easy, worthwhile, and fun.”
- Volunteers use their own vehicles to deliver meals, taking 1-2 hours to complete a route.
- Volunteers choose the day (Monday-Saturday) and frequency (weekly, bi-weekly, monthly, other) for volunteering.
- Monday-Friday meals are picked up at the Meals on Wheels office at 11:30 a.m.
- Saturday and holiday meals are picked up at 10:30 a.m.
- Volunteers can deliver on their own or choose their own partner/buddy.
Can't make a commitment to a regular schedule? Not a problem! We'll add you to our list of substitute volunteers. You can respond to our weekly emails with your availability or call the office to see when we have an open route.
We ocassionally will have opportunities for group projects. Please contact the office to see what opportunities might exist.
Ann Arbor Meals on Wheels would not exist without volunteers!
But, we do more than provide nutritious food. Volunteers also provide social interaction for our clients, especially those who live alone.
One volunteer shared, “I sometimes wonder if I am going to be the only person that they speak to today.”
- Volunteer drivers must be 18 years of age. (under 18 can volunteer if accompanied by an adult). Kids are welcome!
- Provide own vehicle
- Valid driver’s license (if driving) and vehicle insurance
- Be available to deliver six times over the course of a year
- Agree to a criminal background check before you volunteer
- Sign a confidentiality agreement/statement
- We are unable to accommodate those with court-ordered community service. Persons charged with or convicted of a misdemanor or felony may or may not be able to volunteer depending on the timing and charges.
Complete the volunteer application and return it by mail, in person, or via e-mail. We also can mail a paper copy of the application to the volunteer. To request a copy, call the Ann Arbor Meals on Wheels office at (734) 998-6686. The first two pages of the application are for your reference.
- Please allow 5 business days once we receive your application and criminal background check authorization form for AAMOW staff to complete the background check.
- Contact the office to schedule your training, which includes a ride-along with an experienced volunteer.
- We will provide an overview of your responsibilities and finalize your application by making a photo copy of your driver's license.
- After you've completed your training, we will set you up with a regular route or add you to our list of substitute volunteers.
Our volunteers do a lot of driving. In FY 2017 they collectively drove over 84,000 miles!
Itemize your taxes? We keep track of the miles you drive. Just ask staff for your mileage report.