Professional Development Framework:
Transfers Across Units
Over the course of their professional careers, many nurses enjoy opportunities to practice in different specialties and settings. The UMHS Professional Development Framework seeks to support such decisions with the opportunity to maintain one’s Framework Level depending upon the transfer made.
The concept of “like" and "unlike" areas of current or past practice is key to understanding how transfers may affect Framework level.
When a nurse transfers to a “like” area of current or past practice, he/she retains his/her Level and is required to demonstrate ability to continue to meet the Level behaviors within twelve months of transfer.
When a nurse transfers to an “unlike unit area of current or past practice, he/she will be placed as follows: Level A to A; Level C to C; and Levels D and E to C.
Certain transfers are clearly “like,” such as:
- Adult acute care to Adult acute care
- Adult ICU to Adult ICU
- Specialty to Specialty
- Pediatric acute care to Pediatric acute care
- OR to OR
For other transfers, the concept of “like” area may be less clear. For example, a transfer contemplated from adult acute care cardiology to adult cardiac intensive care. Conceptually, “like” areas of current or past practice are determined in the following manner:
Units which share at least two of the three following characteristics are considered to be “like" units:
- Developmental level of patients (adult, pediatric, neonate/infant)
- Level of care (ICU, General Care, Ambulatory Care)
- Specialty (i.e. Cardiac, Oncology)
In the above example, the developmental level of the patients is the same, the level of care is different and the specialty is the same. Two of the three characteristics are “like,” therefore Framework Level would be maintained.
Should disagreement exist about the determination of “like” and “unlike” areas, a meeting between the employee, manager and a UMPNC Rep will be held to resolve the matter.
Employees transferring to a new or “unlike” area of current or past practice will be placed as follows:
- Level A to Level A
- Level C to Level C
- Levels D and E to Level C
- Level evaluation will be completed by the employee and the nurse manager 6 months after successful completion of orientation.
- Evaluation for a higher level will not be completed until the employee has successfully completed the orientation or internship. (Further information on transfers into Internship Programs can be found in Contract Addendum D, Section D, 5a.-d. go to page 195).
See Contract ADDENDUM D, Sections D and E for the complete agreement on:
Section D: TRANSFERS ACROSS UNITS andSection E: NEW HIRES AND TRANSFERS INTO BARGAINING UNIT POSITIONS WITHIN THE PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT FRAMEWORK AND ROLE SPECIFIC ADVANCEMENT MODEL.
Last reviewed: 11/10/2015 April Stingo