Professional Development Framework:
Tools and Resources: Application Templates
To access templates for use in compiling your portfolio, please go to Application Portfolio and select the type of template you need. Each template is accompanied by important instructions for use.
While you are working on your portfolio, you can access templates from outside computers and save the documents to your own computer or disk. If working on a UMHS computer, you can also save MS Word documents on your UMHS “H” drive, using the following steps:
Step 1: Getting to your “H” Drive
Every RN has his or her own “H” drive. Contents are stored on a server and can be accessed from UMHS computers. To access this drive you must first log onto the Novell system. Here’s how:
- Right click on the red “N” icon on the lower right of your computer screen.
- A window will pop up. Left click on “Netware Login,” the topmost choice on the window.
- A new window will pop up “Level-2 Login.” Log in with your uniquename and Level-2 password (the one you use for Groupwise and CareWeb).
- A new window will pop up that says “Applying your personal settings.” Wait a moment while it finishes. You don’t need to do anything.
- Now you can access your “H” Drive.
Step 2: Using a template from the Framework Web site:
- Go to the Framework Web site.
- Go to the page with the template you want to work on.
- Click on the template to open it.
- Go to the upper Left hand corner tool bar and click on "File."
- Click on “Save As.”
- A dialog box comes up that says “Save In.”
- Using the arrow on the right, you will see your name after the “H” drive designation.
- Choose the “H.”
- Name the Document, such as myresumejune06.
- Click SAVE.
- When you go back to that document to work on it at a future date, you must remember to simply click SAVE in order to save the changes.
Be sure to save copies of all documents in a safe place, either hard copies or electronic or both. Your UMHS “H” drive is automatically backed up on a frequent basis.
To return to the Web site after opening a template, click on the green “BACK” arrow at the top left side of your toolbar.
Last reviewed: 11/14/11