Professional Development Framework:
Tools and Resources: Saving Your Framework Documents
Many nurses choose to use their own thumb drive to save Application Portfolio documents as they work on them. Use of a thumb drive has the advantage of portability and easy access.
Another option, if you are creating Application Portfolio documents while working on a UMHS computer, is to save them as Microsoft Word documents on your UMHS “H” drive, using the following steps:
Getting to your “H” Drive
Every RN has his or her own “H” drive. Contents are stored on a server and can be accessed from UMHS computers.
First you must log onto the Novell system. Here’s how:
- Right click on the red “N” icon on the lower right bar of your computer screen. If the red “N” is not immediately visible, get to it by clicking on the small area on the right side of the screen.
- A window will pop up. Left click on “Novell Login”, the topmost choice on the window.
- A new window will pop up “Level-2 Login”. Log in with your unique name and Level-2 password (the same one you use for CareWeb).
- A new window may pop up that says “Applying your personal settings.” Wait a moment while it finishes. You don’t need to do anything.
- Now you can access and save items on your “H” Drive.
To save a document to your H Drive:
- Go to the upper Left hand corner tool bar and click on File
- Click on “Save As..”
- On the left side of the window that opens, you will see your name after the “H” drive designation
- Choose the “H”
- Name the Document, such as myresumeoctober13
- Click SAVE
- When you go back to that document to work on it at a future date, you must remember to simply click SAVE in order to save the changes.
- To return to the document at another time, again sign onto Novell, open Microsoft Word, and go to your “H” drive.
Last reviewed: 11/2013