Professional Development Framework:
Philosophy & Program Overview
The UMHS Professional Development Framework for Nursing at Michigan depends upon creating a practice environment with no barriers where nurses flourish and prosper in extraordinary ways in the delivery of outstanding patient care that is innovative, grounded in science, guided by our core values and driven by compassion.
Our model sparks a passion and an awakening that empowers nurses to pursue professional development that promotes excellence. Nurses know their daily work brings value to their patients, profession and organization. We embrace the principle of abundance and never-ending growth. Talent is bountiful and possibilities are endless.
The Professional Development Framework structure is built upon Five Domains of Nursing Practice:
- Clinical Skills and Knowledge
- Therapeutic Relationships
- Professional Relationships
- Professional Development
- Advancing Practice Through Innovation and Research
The Professional Development Framework:
- Values the work and contributions of nursing at all levels;
- Rewards accomplishment as it occurs;
- Promotes non-competitive teamwork with excellence as a common goal; and
- Supports nurses as they develop their practice.
In doing so, the Framework serves the goal of UMHS nursing to provide world-class patient care. The Framework model encourages nurses to build their careers at UMHS. Within this framework, movement toward personalized professional aspirations occurs at a self-initiated pace.
Last reviewed: 10/2012