Welcome to your clinical placement at the University of Michigan Health Systems! We hope the following information will guide you through the onboarding process.
It is an expectation that all instructors will read their UMHS Outlook email weekly.
Important updates and new information are communicated in this manner.
Please click on the steps below to read detailed information on the process that must be followed at the start of each term.
Step 1 Attend New Faculty Orientation
Clinical Instructors new to the University of Michigan Health System (UMHS) must complete a New Faculty Orientation session with Clinical Placement. Please email email@example.com to arrange a time to complete your orientation in person or over the phone.
Step 2 Orient to Your Unit
A minimum of 3 weeks before the clinical placement begins contact the unit nurse manager or student liaison to:
- Request an orientation to the unit. If you are new, anticipate this can be up to 3-4 days on the unit. You are considered "new to the unit" if you do not work on the unit or if you have never been an instructor with students on that unit. If you are an instructor returning to the same unit, plan to shadow for 3-4 hours to review unit changes. Unit profile and contact information are located on the Undergraduate Student tab in Step 1.If you need assistance contacting the unit representative, please contact Clinical Placement. Orientation with both Clinical Placement and the unit must be complete before students can begin their clinical practicum on the unit. There are no exceptions.
- Discuss with the manager or student liaison how student assignments on the unit will be determined and the time the students should arrive for patient report each clinical day.
- Provide a copy of the student expectations, course objectives, and course syllabus to the nurse manager or student liaison.
- At the end of each term, schedule a time to meet with the unit/area leadership to evaluate the placement experience.
PLEASE NOTE: Observational experiences can only be arranged through the UMHS Clinical Placement Office during the SON ACE placement request period. Individual instructors may not approach units to ask to bring students for observational experiences or visits.
Step 3 Validate Access to UMHS Computer Systems
All instructors and students with a clinical placement at UMHS will be granted access to our computer systems based upon the placement location and the specifications of the role within the Health System.
Please be certain to validate access code (uniqname or user ID and password) functionality before beginning clinical hours. If there are any issues with IDs or passwords, please contact the MCIT Help Desk at 734-936-8000.
Computer Access Information will be distributed as follows:
- UM instructors and students will receive an email from our Medical Campus IT department (MCIT) directing them to the Level 2 RESET page. The email will come through their umich.edu email account from Identity_Management@med.umich.edu.
- Non-UM instructors and students will receive an email from our Medical Campus IT Department (MCIT) directing them to the Level 2 RESET page. The email will come from Identity_Management@med.umich.edu to the personal email account submitted to UMHS by your School of Nursing.
- Passwords for the OmniCell Medication Cabinet: All new passwords will be sent to your UMHS Microsoft Outlook email account with instructions. If you have received an OmniCell password in the past, you will NOT receive a new one. You much reset your old password. Please see the Recourses tab for complete instructions on how to login to the OmniCell. NOTE:The OmniCell information is an internal link and can only be accessed from within the Health System.
PLEASE NOTE: If there is a need to extend a student or instructor's account beyond the current semester's end date, the request must be made to Clinicalplacement@med.umich.edu before the account expires. Once the account expires for the term, accounts will not be recreated. The student or instructor's name, uniqname, UMID, course number and new end date must be included in the request.
Step 4 Complete Institutional Requirements
Each clinical nursing instructor and nursing student at UMHS must complete a group of institutional and nursing requirements within one week of the start of the school’s program term. Required learning activities include training to the electronic health record (MiChart) and annually required UMHS and/or ACE mandatory training.
MiChart Training Requirements
All clinical instructors in the inpatient/ICU setting must complete the unit RN MiChart training requirement. At a minimum, this will include 4 hours of eLearning modules in MLearning plus 18 hours of classroom training. If you are a UMSN instructor, please contact Carrie Bachler at firstname.lastname@example.org or 764-6233 to schedule your course. If you are a non-UM instructor, please contact April Stingo at email@example.com or 615-6910 to schedule your course.
- Undergraduate students in the inpatient/ICU setting will complete eLearning modules in MLearning to satisfy their MiChart training requirement.
- Undergraduate students in OB, the PACUs, ED or ambulatory care must complete classroom training to satisfy their MiChart training requirement. The classes will be scheduled by UMSN and Clinical Placement.
- To access MiChart eLearnings and find the date, time and location of your required MiChart training classes go to https://trainingportal.med.umich.edu and login with your LEVEL 2 username and password (Outlook).
- Step-by-step instructions for completing your MiChart eLearnings can be found here: http://sitemaker.umich.edu/mlearning-info/files/learnerquickguidemicharttrainingportal.pdf
Consist of a set of online learning activities required by regulatory agencies, such as the Joint Commission, or as required by UMHS policy. These are completed through the UMHS learning management system, MLearning, and ACE for non-UM Ann Arbor instructors and students. Please view the Institutional Requirement List for you and your students.
- Institutional Requirement List- UM Ann Arbor SON
- Institutional Requirement List- Non-UM Ann Arbor SON (Students will complete HIPPA, OSHA and BBP in ACE)
- To access MLearning from a computer on the UMHS network, go to https://trainingportal.med.umich.edu
- To access MLearning from home or from a computer not on the UMHS network, please follow the instructions below:
- Go to http://level1.med.umich.edu
- Login in with your Kerberos/Level-1 password
- Click the link to MLearning
- Login to MLearning with your Level-2 password (Outlook)
- Complete all activities listed on My Learning Plan (Your Home Page in MLearning)
For any issues or questions related to MLearning, please call or email MLearning at 734-615-5146 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
PLEASE NOTE: Clinical Placement must receive documentation validating completion of MiChart training and institutional requirements for all students and instructors by the end of week one of your term. Please see the Resources tab for details.
Step 5 Instructor MiChart Clinical Documentation Expectations
All documentation in the electronic health record is completed in MiChart. Access to MiChart is granted upon successful completion of all required eLearning, associated quizzes and classroom content if applicable.
Instructors are responsible for the following prior to the students’ clinical start date
- To validate that all students have completed the MiChart eLearning and classroom training requirements.
- To validate students can login to application.
- To assist students with choosing their correct role upon login if they have dual accounts (i.e. function in both a student nurse and employee role). Students will receive instructions via email when the second account is created. Instructions can also be found on the MiChart website under: “MiChart Account Manager-For Users with Multiple Accounts” in the Tips and Training Resources Inpatient/Nursing section.
Instructors are responsible on an ongoing basis for the following
- To validate students can successfully navigate within the MiChart system.
- To provide support to students on the unit in MiChart application use.
- To monitor students for proper use and documentation.
- To ensure all co-signatures are completed prior to leaving for the clinical day.
- Use custom cosign reports to monitor data- See MiChart Tip Sheet “Nursing Need Cosign Report” for instructions on creating custom reports or use the following link forvideo instructions: Link to Video
- To support the students in trouble shooting issues.
- Application log-in issues contact the MCIT Service Desk at 936-8000, option # 1
- Other desk top issues (i.e. level 2 access) contact the Service Desk at 936-8000
- Provide website for documentation resource
It is the responsibility of the instructor to ensure that students are adequately prepared to meet clinical expectations prior to arrival to the unit. If you are uncertain of any requirements, training, or new initiative expectations for your students, please contact Clinical Placement at email@example.com or the unit representative.
Target Audience: Students & Faculty Involved in Clinical Placement | Author: Mary Anne Brancheau firstname.lastname@example.org | Last reviewed: 6/23/2015 Clinical Placement Web Developer and Publisher: April Stingo email@example.com