Target Audience: Students & Faculty | Author/Contact: Mary Ann Brancheau | Last reviewed: 11/2012
UMHS Nursing Clinical Placement:
Below are the steps for beginning a new term at UMHS, as well as general information related to starting a new clinical rotation.
All faculty new to UMHS must attend a New Faculty Orientation. Contact Clinical Placement at email@example.com to schedule a session.
Instructor Steps for Starting a New Term: (please click on links below )
A minimum of 3 weeks before the clinical placement begins, contact the unit/area nurse manager or student liaison to:
- Remind them of the upcoming placement.
- Request an orientation to the unit. If you are new, anticipate this can be up to 3-4 days on the unit. If you are returning to the unit, plan to shadow for 3-4 hours to review unit changes and coordinate your clinical session with the student liaison.
- If applicable, set up a method of posting assignments on the unit.
- Provide a copy of the course expectations and syllabus to the nurse manager or student liaison.
PLEASE NOTE: Observational experiences can only be arranged through the UMHS Clinical Placement Coordinator during the SON placement request period. Individual instructors may not approach units to ask to bring students there for observational experiences or “visits”.
All instructors and students with a clinical placement at UMHS will be granted access to our computer systems based on the placement location and the requirements of the role within the health system.
Please be certain to validate access code (unique name or user ID and password) functionality with your students before beginning clinical hours on your unit. If there are any issues with ID's or passwords, please contact the MCIT Help Desk at 734.936.8000.
ACCESS CODES will be distributed as following:
- U of M students and instructors will receive an email from our health system IT department (MCIT) directing them to the Level 2 reset page. The email will come through your umich.edu email account from MCIT-IDMT-AA
- Non U of M schools will be notified by the UMHS MCIT department when the access code information for the instructors and students is completed and available to be picked up. Each instructor and student will receive: a uniqname (user ID) and Level 1 and Level 2 passwords. You will be instructed to login to UMHS Microsoft Outlook email to obtain your OmniCell password, and, for instructors/students going to the OB area, your TraceVue password.
ONLINE PREREQUISITES IN MLEARNING (UMHS E-Learning System): Once you receive your Level 2 user ID and password, please login to MLearning and you should see the required courses (such as Centricity, CareLink and Fire Safety) in each student and instructor’s Learning Plan. The required learning activities are listed on the Resource tab Mandatoried List. If any activities are missing, please call MLearning @ 734-615-5146 to ask to be added to the “nursing student clinical placement domain”.
If you have received an OmniCell password in the past, you will NOT receive a new one. Please call the Help Desk at 734.936.8000 to have your old password reset. If you have never received an OmniCell password, all new passwords will be sent to the student/instructor's UMHS Microsoft Outlook email accounts.
PLEASE NOTE: Please make sure all students log into OmniCell on their first clinical day and at least once a month during their clinical to make sure their access does not expire.
Students should sign-in with their uniqname and the password abc123. You will then be prompted to change the password. If you have difficulty, you can either send an email to Centricity-Help@med.umich.edu with your first and last name along with your unique name or you can page 734.936.6266 pager id# 7470 and someone will contact you. For any access code issues, please contact the HELP Desk @ 734.936.8000..
Step 3: Process Your Students for Placement
(please also see the Resource tab for detailed information)
- Competency Validation Completion Form Validate that your students have completed all UMHS Institutional Requirements in MLearning before beginning clinical hours on the unit.
- Glucometer Testing Participant Record
Give to the unit liaison:
Instructor Contact Information Form
- Make certain your students have obtained their UMHS MCard IDs at the Key/ID Office.
- Ensure that your students are familiar with the UMHS nursing and documentation guidelines and policies and how to locate them. See Resources tab.
- Validate that your students have completed all of the UMHS Institutional Requirements in MLearning before beginning clinical hours on the unit.
Students are required to complete a one-time online module in MLearning to satisfy their CareLink training requirement. Access to the CareLink system is granted upon successful completion of the module and associated quiz.
For Questions regarding CareLink, please contact the CareLink training group via e-mail at UM-CareLink-Training@umich.edu or by calling (734) 936-8000, option #2.
Centricity: All faculty and students must complete a one-time online Centricity module in MLearning prior to performing clinical hours on the unit. Please see the Resources tab for additional information related to Centricity training and documentation.
MiChart: We are in the process of implementing our new online medical record system throughout the health system. Training requirements for students and instructors are as follows:
- All students and instructors in inpatient setting: an MLearning module will be added to their Learning Plan
- NP students in the ambulatory care setting: must complete both an online and 7 hour classroom course
For all nursing documentation, instructors are responsible for:
- Providing support to students on the unit in application use
- Monitoring students for proper use and documentation
- Assisting the students in trouble shooting issues
Nursing Documentation website (internal link):
It is the responsibility of the instructor to assure that students are adequately prepared to meet clinical expectations prior to arrival to the unit. Please contact Clinical Placement at firstname.lastname@example.org or the unit liaison if you are uncertain of any training or new initiative requirement for your students. Hide this text