Blood, Organ and Tissue Donations
Did you know that:
- Every 2 seconds someone in the United States needs blood for patient care, but only 5 percent of the eligible population donates blood in any given year?
- Approximately 90,000 people are listed and waiting for a transplant in the U.S. according to United Network for Organ Sharing? More than 1,600 people will be removed from the list this year because they become too sick for a transplant, and another 7,000 people will die while waiting.
Donations of healthy blood, organs and tissue help University of Michigan doctors and surgeons save and improve lives. By donating, you, too, can help save a life – be it that of a loved one or someone you never met.
- Blood drives at U-M Health System facilities
- Information on organ and tissue donation: University of Michigan Transplant Center
Additional information and education:
- Donate blood through the American Red Cross
- University of Michigan Transweb: All About Transplantation and Donation
- Gift of Life Michigan
- United Network for Organ Sharing
- Transplant Living: Organ facts
- The Organ Procurement and Transplantation Network
- UMHS Press Release: U-M Transplant Center receives HHS Medal of Honor