Whether you aim for a career in academic medicine or private practice, you will gain a deep understanding of the breadth and depth of dermatology practice through the University of Michigan Department of Dermatology's Residency Program. The three-year experience includes training in:
During these three years, you will practice in both outpatient and inpatient settings, as well as reinforce and expand your understanding through lectures, conferences and meetings. As you progress through the program, you will move into roles of increasing responsibility, allowing you to acquire experience in and knowledge of the treatment of a broad range of conditions — from acne to xeroderma.
To present an educational program that will prepare you for a future practice of dermatology based on the virtues of compassionate care and sound clinical judgment paired with a passion for the advances of technology and basic science in this specialty.
To deliver a world-class education using a structured framework that will guide you as you attain the abilities and understanding required for the evaluation and acquisition of new knowledge through an evidence-based approach to dermatology.
To foster in you the mindset and habits required not only to achieve your certification in dermatology, but to continue to grow and expand the science and practice of this field.
- A broad-based dermatologic education
- A comprehensive surgical and oncology experience that encompasses complete exposure to Mohs, advanced reconstruction, cosmetic dermatology, multiple lasers, and advanced multidisciplinary melanoma management
- Large numbers of patients seen and managed by residents in close collaboration with faculty
- Our team of more than 25 faculty members, who provide patient-based instruction and supervision to residents in the clinic setting
- Comprehensive didactic sessions and grand rounds
- Electronic resources and major medical library
- Fully electronic photographic and projection equipment
- Our faculty include national and international leaders in their fields, who supply comprehensive education and training in medical, cosmetic and surgical dermatology and dermatopathology
- Strong clinical and basic research programs
- Day Treatment Center
- Fiscally strong
- Large residency with exceptional residents, who teach each other
- Excellent resources for residents including secretarial support as needed