Varicocele Post-Operative Instructions
- You must bring a driver with you to this surgery- you will not be allowed to
drive yourself home.
- Avoid strenuous activity for 48 hours after your procedure. This includes any
heavy lifting and sexual activity. After 48 hours, you can resume any activity
that is comfortable, including sexual activity. It is common to need 7-10 days
before you feel up to resuming all your normal activites (such as sports,
- You may shower after 24 hours. Do not take a bath or use a hot tub for five
- Expect some mild pain, mild swelling of the scrotum and possible slight fluid
leak from the incision site(s). A gauze pad may be applied to the incision if
there is any leakage.
- You may continue your normal diet.
- You may return to work after 48 hours as tolerated.
- Prescription pain medication will be provided. You may also take Extra-
Strength Tylenol, Motrin or Advil as needed for any pain or discomfort, after
the first few days. Follow the package directions regarding dose.
- If you experience unusual or severe pain that is not relieved by pain
medication, excessive bleeding or drainage, excessive swelling or redness,
foul odor or a fever over 101° F, please contact the Urology clinic at (734)
936-7030. After 5:00 pm or on weekends, please contact the Urology resident
at (734) 936-6267.
You will be given an appointment to return for a postoperative visit
approximately two (2) weeks after surgery.
For Urgent or Emergent situations 24 hours a day, page the Urology Resident on call at
734.936.6267. They will contact the faculty physician for you.